And so I entered the final phase of the idol transformation - the cracks and depicting the depleted gold plating.

I wasn't keen to have my idol totally broken as it appeared in the Propstore photographs, so I took some license and opted for a 'repaired' version.

Using a pencil I drew the outline of the cranium cracks and then using a very sharp craft knife, I cut deeply into the surface in some places

and very slightly in others. Please remember, the surface of the idol is slippery so make sure you use a cutting mat and NOT your lap!

Once I was satisfied with the result I used a mixture of Carbon Black and Oxide green to fill in the cuts and to imply chipping

and fine cracks. On the cheek, where the original exhibits some white exposed areas, I used a mixture of White, and a dash of Naples

Yellow Hue, Napthol Crimson and Carbon black to paint on the flaking shape. I enhanced the edge slightly by adding a fine, dark line around

a portion of the exposed area.

On the stomach area there is another quite prominent crack that's clearly seen below a peeled area of the idol's surface. Instead of using a knife,

I opted to paint the crack from the nipple to the sternum. I then enhanced the illusion by painting a lighter edge on the bottom of the dark 'crack'.

Picture 19: The 'crack' on the chest area  / Picture 20: The cranium crack cut into the idol using a craft knife / Picture 21: The cheek crack and the white exposed area

Finally, I needed to address the gold. Again, I studied the original and noted where the gold had peeled off the undercoat and where it had remained.

Using a pencil, I drew the outlines of the places where I intended to put the plating and then using a very dark mixture of paint (Cadmium Yellow Mid,

Napthol Red Light, Carbon Black and a dash of Naples Yellow Hue) I painted the surface areas with the deep undercoat. Please note: its not necessary

to use the same color throughout, indeed, its important to have your base color varying as you paint because it adds a realistic dimension to the plated areas.

Once this paint was dry, I used European Gold Rub n Buff in varying degrees of thickness to imply a tarnished gold plating. To finish, I added some over-paint

of Black and black wash (dabbed off with my finger in some cases) to enhance the tarnishing. I also used a very thin line around the edge of some of

the gold areas to visually separate the green and the gold plated areas.

Finally, I sealed the entire idol using a Satin finish water based varnish applied with a broad artists brush and allowed it to dry.

Page Five: Summary and Gallery